2 Japanese shopping havens: Maruyu & Conveni8!

Posted by Linda on 28. 2013 0 comments
My goodness! I realised I had literally ABANDONED this blog for 7 months! Well, truth be told it was my intention initially, around December last year, I became increasingly busy in my life so having the time to update this blog gradually decreased to the point that I hardly had any other free time to do so, especially considering I have 2 other blogs; which I began to dedicate more of my time to. At one point I did contemplate on deleting this blog altogether, but then I decided not to, leaving room for the prospect of 'reviving' this blog sometime in the future, and I decided to do just that today!

But please take note that this will not be a food review, but rather a review on 2 Japanese supermarkets I recently visited in Sydney; Australia.
Australia is literally saturated with Asian supermarkets & groceries due to the overwhelming amount of the Asian population in the country, with about 93% of these Asian supermarkets being Chinese, while the remaining 7% being Korean, Japanese or south east Asian. But there's so very few Asian supermarkets that are authentically Japanese in Australia, so it's much more difficult to find authentic Japanese products in this country. Although some of the other Asian groceries do sell some Japanese products, but their range are very limited.
In the past, whenever I wanted to buy authentic Japanese products and food, I would either shop at Tokyomart located in Northbridge; which is the largest authentic Japanese supermarket in Australia, or I order online. But just earlier this week, I learned about 2 other Japanese supermarkets in Sydney CBD called Maruyu and Conveni8 which are located on Clarence St & Pitt St respectively. This also means that these 2 grocery stores are more easily accessible to me than Tokyomart, and I have read several rave reviews about both stores, so immediately I was intrigued by them. Both stores have been operating for some years now and I was amazed by my own ignorance of their existence, as I have been living in Sydney for many years now and never heard about them until early this week!
Since they are both located ridiculously close to Town Hall train station hence easily accessible, I couldn't wait to go visit them so I immediately planned a shopping trip to these 2 stores on the next available day on my busy schedule, which was on Thursday as I had a day off from work that day.

So this will be my recollection of that day visiting the 2 stores and my reviews on both stores, but please take note that this entry is quite long and extensive, so please bear with me, however it's quite a good read I think

Category :non-food related
Tag :japanese

Profile

Linda

Author:Linda
a enthusiastic foodie from Australia!

I love food, especially desserts & sweets, junk food and Japanese cuisine! But I'm a foodie who loves all kinds of good food in general ^_^
I like to review & critique about various food, sweets, snacks & drinks I have tasted/tried based on my OWN personal opinion & preferences. So you may not agree with some of my opinions & ratings.

Please take note that I am not a serious food "critic", reviewing & critiquing foods is merely a hobby I like to do in my free time ^_^

Calendar

05 | 2013/06 | 07
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - - - - - 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 - - - - - -

Visitors

Time

Company search

Japanese companies:

Non-Japanese companies:

Brand search

Here are some of my favourite snack brands ^_^

Japanese brands:

Non-Japanese:

Although the 'Kit Kat' confection originates in England & is produced worldwide by Nestlé (and Hershey in the US only), most of the KK bars I review about are Japanese flavours from Nestlé Japan.

Blogroll

I am a publisher of Dailybuzz:
I am also a member of the Foodie Blogroll:

Pretty pretty yum yum

All your happy thoughts in one cookie jar

Follow me

you can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and my Youtube channel, you can also visit my website Linda Land ^_^

QR code

QR

Widgets

here is a funky widget from Glico! Just click the keys on the keyboard and music will start playing with Pocky sticks dancing over your screen! ^_^ Each key plays a different music:

here's a cute machine slot game from Morinaga! If you get 3 of a kind on the slot machine, you get a "delicious" treat ^_^